PSM Basic Training: Introduction to Variable Frequency Drives
This video will cover the following topics:
- Understand the benefits of variable frequency drives and the types of pumping applications that are most suitable for their use
- Be familiar with the basic architecture of VFD systems, including AC induction motor
- Understand the basic considerations that apply to selecting and applying a VFD in a pumping system
- Understand how the environment (temperature, altitude, cooling, etc.) affects the selection and operation of a VFD
- Understand how the electrical system (grounding, power quality, input/output cables, etc.) affects the selection and operation of the VFD
- Be able to troubleshoot the drive and electrical components and understand the likely causes of performance issues
- Be able to troubleshoot the motor and mechanical components and understand the likely causes of performance issues
- Understand the key elements of VFD maintenance
HI Basic Training: Introduction to Variable Frequency Drives
Open to view video.
Open to view video. Variable frequency drives (VFDs) are a common tool for improving process and quality control and for realizing energy savings in pumping systems. This course outlines the general concepts for using a VFD in pumping applications and covers their fundamental principles of operation. The attendee will be presented with application considerations that are typically outside the boundaries of the VFD (such as the environment and the electrical system), but that have a significant influence on its selection and operation. Also covered are safety and troubleshooting of variable frequency drives and their proper maintenance.
If this module is being viewed as a group, please indicate the total number of participants